The Bryantville Bee (1895)
Written and published by Friend White. According to History of the Town of Hanson (1963): “It was a four-page sheet, whose editor, publisher, printer, and in fact office force and sole correspondent, was Friend White. The sole edition appeared October 1895 with the announcement that it “might be published at uncertain intervals.” It was a unique speciman. All the advertising was inserted without knowledge of the parties advertised and absolutely free, but notice was given “if any felt beholden they could contribute from their stock in payment – under-takers strictly barred out”. There was no written copy, the editor composed as he set the type, and his inexhaustable fund of wit and humor supplied the table of contents.
Hanson Bugle (1895)
Written and published by Frank L. Armstrong. According to History of the Town of Hanson (1963): “Hanson had a weekly paper, “The Hanson Bugle”, of which Frank L. Armstrong was the editor and proprietor. It was a well-printed, newsy and creditably put up little sheet, published every Saturday. The Bugle started as an amateur monthly publication August 1, 1895. The first copies were printed in the office of S. M. Briggs of Pleasant Street. August 24, 1895 Mr. Armstrong decided to issue the paper as a local weekly. The first 500 copies were printed in the office of William Bradford, Bridgewater, Mass. The editions were cordially received by the people of Hanson and Pembroke. The final retirement from the newspaper field was not due to the lack of support of the public but rather to the inability of the proprietor to successfully continue to perform the duties of reporter, editor, news-agent, advertising solicitor, compositor, make-up man, press man, press-feeder, etc., as he was but sixteen years of age at the time. The decision to discontinue was determined upon about midnight, Thanksgiving Eve, 1895, as the editor was winding his weary way along the railroad tracks half way between Whitman and South Hanson with the week’s edition of papers upon his back.”
The Bode (1899-1900)
According to History of the Town of Hanson (1963): “The Bode was a weekly newspaper, published every Friday in the interest of the religious, political, and general welfare of the towns of Hanover and Hanson. It gave the local news as well as other articles of general interest. Brief notices of meetings and entertainments were inserted free. Single copies were one cent each, subscriptions, ten cents per quarter. It was published by the Severance Printing Company, Whitman”. Available at the Hanson Historical Society for the years 1899-1900 [Ms124 F01, Hearse House, Shelf 1, Box 11].
Bryantville News (1903-?)
Published by George Edward Lewis and George A. Turner. According to History of the Town of Hanson (1963): “The Bryantville News was born February 18, 1903. It was a weekly paper, published every Wednesday by George Edward Lewis and George A. Turner. The printing was done in their office which was over Bryant’s store. Subscription rates were two cents per single copy or $1.00 per year. This paper was really a tireless letter writer. Week after week, this printed letter was prepared for those living here and for those who have moved to some other locality, telling of marriages, births, deaths, the coming and going of people, of business efforts and progress, accidents, crops, improvements, meetings and so on. In fact everything of importance and interest”.
Hanson Courier (1951-1954)
According to History of the Town of Hanson (1963), on 19 October 1951, the Hanson Chamber of Commerce was organized “with the following ten persons constituting the original membership: David Binns, Ralph H. Binns Jr., David B. Clemons, Lewis N. Goodwin, Howard Johnston, Robert A. Johnston, Benjamin Koplovsky, Alvin Reid, Alfred Pillsbury, Norman MacDonald”, and their “first project was the weekly publication of an advertising medium called “The Hanson Courier”. This was published and edited independently, but sponsored by the chamber… after several years this organization fell apart due to the death of some of the members and the lack of time of other members to carry it on”. In the 1970 Who’s Who In Library Service, Frederic Wolfe Binns was listed as the former editor of the Hanson Courier. Available at the Hanson Historical Society for the years 1951-1954 [Ms 124 F02, F03, F04, F05, F06, F07, F08, Hearse House, Shelf 1, Box 11].
The Wagging Tail (1950s)
In the 1970 Who’s Who In Library Service, Frederic Wolfe Binns was listed as having worked as the editor and publisher of the Wagging Tail. Princeton Alumni Weekly, Vol. 51 (1950), 25 reported the news of the birth at Hanson, Mass. of Fred Binns’ son, Thomas Wolfe, stating that the informing stationary “bears the intriguing heading “The Wagging Tail – Edited by Frederick W. Binns”.
The Hanson Press (1970)
In the 1966 and 1970 Who’s Who In Library Service, Frederic Wolfe Binns was listed as having worked as the compositor and pressman of the Hanson Press.
The Hansonian (1980s-present)
A monthly newspaper published by the Hanson Multi-Service Senior Center. Available at the Hanson Historical Society for the years 1989, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 [Ms 124 F09, F10, F11, F12, F13, F14, F15, Hearse House, Shelf 1, Box 11]. Digital copies available for March 2012, April 2012, May 2012, June 2012.
Hanson Reporter (1984-1990)
Available on microfilm at the Boston Public Library.
Whitman Hanson Mariner (1990-)
Published by Mariner Newspapers. Years 1990-1992 available on microfilm at the Boston Public Library.
Whitman-Hanson Express (2002-present)
Published by the Clipper Press. Digital archive of content from the last three months available at the Whitman Hanson Express website. Print copies of some editions are available at the Dyer Memorial Library.