1848 History of Hanson

John Warner Barber, Historical Collections: Being a General Collection of Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, &c., Relating to the History and Antiquities of Every Town in Massachusetts with Geographical Gleanings (Worcester, Mass.: Warren Lazell, 1848), 503.

Available at GoogleBooks.

 

Hanson. This town was formerly included within the town limits of Pembroke. It was incorporated in 1820. Rev. Gad Hitchcock, D.D., was ordained the first minister of the place, in 1748, and continued in the office of pastor fifty-five years, and lived to the age of 83. “He was sociable, friendly, and hospitable; esteemed as a man of talents, and many in his old age profited by his instruction.” Rev. George Barstow was successor and colleague with Dr. Hitchcock, and continued the pastoral relation eighteen years, and died in 1821, aged 51 years. He was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Howland. In 1837, there were 48,000 pairs of shoes manufactured in this town, valued at $40,000; males employed, 180; females, 240. There were 3 nail factories; 48 tons of nails were manufactured, valued at $6,240. Population, 1,058. Distance, 15 miles from Plymouth, 15 from Weymouth Landing, and 24 from Boston. There are 3 churches in the town, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist.

Advertisements