Pomp House Gravesite (1827)
- Location: Near 274 King St. Exact location undetermined. [Do you know its exact location? Report it here.]
- Condition: Unknown. The House property [at 274 King St.] has been subdivided into additional house plots since the 19th century.
- References to this gravesite are available at: FindAGrave; Joseph B. White, History of Houses in Hanson, Mass. (1932), Plan No. 3, Site No. L.
Pomp, a former slave of the House family, drowned in 1827 in a pond hole which was located across King Street from the Nahum Stetson house, possibly in the mill pond, today referred to as Factory Pond. He was buried on the property of the House family on King Street. In Joseph B. White’s History of Houses in Hanson, Mass. (1932), Lucius Arnold reported to Joseph B. White ”Between the L. P. Bergin place No. 50 Plan No. 3 and the Caleb Arnold place No. 51 Plan No. 3 [on Glenwood Place] was a quarter acres of land all walled in with a gateway as entrance. Inside the wall was a small cottage and a large variety of fruit, berries, etc. and a well. This plot was occupied and cultivated by an old colored man, formerly a slave in the old James House family on King Street. He was never married, but gave his whole time in the care of his little farm and cottage. In 1827, he was drowned in a pond hole opposite the Nahum Stetson place on King Street, and was buried on the James House farm [sic, Samuel House farm?]“.
It is probable that this burial site was not marked with a gravestone. Its exact location today is unknown.