Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Cemeteries and Burial Sites


Tomb Located On Doctor Pierce’s Land

  • Location: Doctor Pierce’s Land, High St. near Plymouth County Hospital. Exact location undetermined. [Do you know its exact location? Report it here.]
  • References to this tomb: History of the Town of Hanson (Hanson, MA: Hanson Historical Committee, 1959), Chapter 14: Cemeteries and Burial Grounds.

Excerpt from History of the Town of Hanson: “There are also three other tombs in town; … one on Doctor Pierce’s land …”.

“Doctor Pierce” was Dr. Bradford H. Pierce who was the head doctor of the Plymouth County Hospital. In the 1920, 1930, and 1940 Censuses, he resided at High St.

In Joseph B. White’s History of Houses in Hanson, Mass. (1932), Dr. Bradford Pierce’s house was identified as Plan No. 6, House No. 109 on High Street. M. MacDonald informed Joseph B. White that “This house was built for the County of Plymouth in 1911, Willard Hanson of Brockton being the contractor”. Elsie Calder later added: “Approximately 1950, part of this building was moved to Lot 28 Plan 49 (266 High Street) and became the office of Dr. Donald Martin, Superintendant of Plymouth County Hospital”.

A tomb was not surveyed and marked on the 1929-1935 Hanson Assessor’s Maps on High St. near the Plymouth County Hospital.


 West Washington Street Tomb

Excerpt from History of the Town of Hanson: “There are also three other tombs in town; … one on West Washington Street”.

A tomb was not surveyed and marked on the 1929-1935 Hanson Assessor’s Maps on West Washington St.


 Native American Burial Site (possibly 18th century)

  • Location: Henry Straffin House, Main St., just north of Reed St. Uncertain what happened to the excavated skeleton and burial goods after 1924. [Do you know more details? Share them here.]
  • Reference to this burial site: Joseph B. White, History of Houses in Hanson, Mass. (1932), Plan No. 4, House No. 57.

In Joseph B. White’s History of Houses in Hanson, Mass. (1932), Henry Straffin’s house was identified as Plan No. 4, House No. 57 on Main Street just north of Reed St., owned by Henry Straffin in the early 20th century. Henry Straffin informed Joseph B. White that “This lot of land was purchased from Helen M. Josselyn on 7/19/24 and excavation of cellar begun 7/21/24. House completed in 1924. When digging the cellar they opened an Indian grave in which was found a beautiful pottery clay jug 16” high made by hand of Mexican clay. It was supposed to have been buried two hundred years. Mr. Straffin was offered one hundred dollars for it by a professor from some college, but he refused the offer. Parts of a skeleton were found on the stone of the grave, arrow heads, etc. etc. and in another place close by a piece of money was found. This land is a part of the original Hanks property and close to the site of the Hanks house”.

"West Indian Rum Jug", removed from a Native American burial site on Main St., 1924.

“West Indian Rum Jug”, removed from a Native American burial site on Main St., 1924.


 Cemeteries near Hanson town lines (in other towns)

Hudson Street Lot (1819) [Halifax] 

  • Location: Hudson St., Halifax, Mass. Probably refers to the Hudson Tomb (1819).
  • Transcriptions and/or photographs of its gravestones are also available at: FindAGraveHistory of the Town of Hanson (Hanson, MA: Hanson Historical Committee, 1959), Chapter 14: Cemeteries and Burial Grounds; abbreviated in Vital Records of East Bridgewater as G.R.2.

Excerpt from History of the Town of Hanson: “Another small private lot is on Hudson Street, Halifax, and is near the road, on a corner of the field once owned by Cyrus Monroe”. By 1879, Cyrus Monroe had purchased a home on Hudson St. just over the Halifax border in East Bridgewater (it is probably this property the Hanson document describes). Capt. Cyrus Monroe was born at Pembroke (now Hanson), 6 May 1816, the son of Cyrus and Chrissa Wadsworth (Phillips) Monroe. He died at East Bridgewater, 30 May 1891.

CyrusMonroeHouse1879

Cyrus Monroe House and Property in 1879 on Hudson St., East Bridgewater by the Halifax/Hanson border. Map courtesy of http://www.historicmapworks.com/